Over the past few weeks I’ve been working on a new project in our company which involved building a number of inter-dependent assemblies, “strongly naming” them and installing them into the Global Assembly Cache. Over the course of the project, I was forced to look at a number of issues related to assembly versions, solution organisation and the deployment of assesmblies in a developer environment.
So given that it’s been a while since I wrote anything vaguely technical, I thought I’d document some of these issues down.
- What version numbering strategy should we use?
- How will we organise our Solution to make this easily manageable?
- How will we manage these libraries during the deployment phase?
- How will we circulate stable versions to developers during on-going development of other projects?
- How will we release these libraries to customers?